Monday, September 13, 2010

Madagascar- Food

Just one part of an extremely large, delicious meal at the restaurant Les Chausseurs
Baguettes, apparently a mainstay of many Malagasy diets
I wasn't really sure what to expect as far as food goes, coming to Madagascar besides the expectation of eating a lot of rice. That's definitely been the case, that I've been eating a rice on a daily basis, but other things that I've been eating a lot of were somewhat of a surprise. For instance: bread. I think I've actually eaten more french baguette style bread, than I have rice thus far- having it up to 3 times a day: always for breakfast, sometimes for picnic lunches and on some nights of my homestay, we had it for dinner too.




One thing that's available here that all of us americans are enthusiastic about is peanut butter. Peanuts grow locally and there's local peanut butter in the supermarkets so I've already had my fair share of PBJ sandwiches.

The one thing I find myself missing the most is vegetables. We have them on occasion, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with not having any with dinner, and having three forms of carbs instead(such as rice, pasta, bread, pommes frites/potatoes). I've had a variety of meats and seafood, including zebu(steak), fish, crab, shrimp. I've had chicken a couple of times, but am pretty sure I wouldn't choose it myself to buy for dinner- you buy the live chicken and kill it yourself. The meat, both zebu and chicken has been very good- most likely due to the fact that is from "naturally raised" animals.
Papaya tree

Crazy looking Jacques-fruit
I love the fact that "exotic fruits" like bananas, papayas and others are local here- it's great being able to have bananas and a clear conscious about shipping distance too. I tried for the first time, a fruit called jacques fruit- which tastes something like bubble gum, and then what I think is called "couer de bouef", which is creamy, sweet and a little bit like vanilla yogurt- possibly my new favorite fruit.

Fresh  juice(I think it's orange)
As far as drinks go, since we're not supposed to drink untreated water, there's been some variety. At my homestay, for breakfast we have "tea" which is boiled water, and then add sweetened condensed milk and sugar(although I just use the milk). It's surprisingly good, a little bit like hot chocolate without the chocolate. We also have what they call "coffee" for dinner sometimes, which is actually made from scorched rice that's then been cooked with water to make a beverage. It does look and taste a bit like coffee, but not as strong, but is still good. Or if the rice wasn't scorched they'll do the same thing, but it's weaker in flavor- reminds me a bit of genmaicha tea(green tea with rice in it).

Beyond that, SIT has been providing us with lot's of "Eau Vive", which is the bottled water here, it comes in 1.5 liter bottles. We've also gotten to drink some fresh juices of the local fruits, soursap fruit, orange, pineapple, papaya, which have all been pretty good. I've also had some real coffee at non-homestay breakfasts, which I really like with the sweetened condensed milk in it. I also tried the local beer "THB" (Three Horses Beer), which is advertised everywhere, and it was pretty good.

Signs for Eau Vive and THB (and Coke)
Rice- from the field


Coffee tree!

All in all? Eating well, I haven't encountered any foods that are "too weird" yet, although I'm definitely craving a bar of good dark chocolate and it's nowhere to be found. Oh well...



Another large diverse restaurant meal 

Exciting place mats at le Stadium Restaurant
Teapots at le Stadium

1 comment:

  1. All that new food must be interesting to you. The restaurant dishes look delicious! I wonder about that cat on the table though ... is it sampling or about to become part of a dish?
    Lots of bread is surprising; I would not think much wheat is grown in Madagascar.

    ReplyDelete